INTRODUCTION from the text - Interpreting Art by Terry Barrett, pgs, xv - xxi.
After reading this chapter, I want you to respond to the following questions and submit your answers and perceptions to the online Canvas Discussions. These can be short answers, but think them through.
1) What does the author say, is the purpose of his book?
2) Look at the definition of the word - aesthetic in a dictionary and/or in the definition I wrote in the "What is Art" folder. Give some examples from your own personal experience of art that you might not believe to be aesthetic.
3) What do you believe the author is saying by the statement, "To miss paintings, sculptures, and photographs is to miss a lot? Works of art, however, provide knowledge and experiences only if the works of art are interpreted; not to interpret them is to miss them".
3-a) Give examples from your personal experience to your response above.
4) What in the world is so valuable about interpreting art? Why can't we just go to Wall Mart and pick something we like to hang on the wall of our home as a decoration. Why should we have to go around interpreting various "art" or objects?
5) Why does the author believe - multiple interpretations - of an artifact or work of art is important? What about multiple interpretations would be important for you? Why not?
Interpretation Of The Works Of Art
Length: 2 pages (550 Words)
Interpretation of the Works of Art
Barrett Terry’s book on interpreting art introduces the reader to various strategies that could be applied in interpreting the works of art without using any difficult word or jargon. The author presents some of the issues considered complex in a very simple and understandable way. The book is more relevant to beginners who intend to undertake a course in arts and design. However, it does not discriminate against the sophisticated readers.
The author suggests that artwork presents complex or hidden material thus it is upon the reader to apply various methodologies in interpreting these works. The book tends to suggest that art is beyond beauty which implies that it presents the feelings and thoughts of the artist.
* Once your purchase is processed by paypal you will be redirected back to this page and you'll have the option to download the paper. We'll also send the paper to your paypal email address as proof of purchase.Download Paper